Wyoming statute 21-3-132 was created last year to provide school districts the ability to adopt policy, rules and regulations to allow the possession of firearms on school property by employees possessing a valid concealed carry permit.
Several requirements are built into the law and include:
- An established application and approval process
- Requirement that the person carry the firearm on their person or in a biometric container within direct control of the individual at all times;
- Initial and ongoing training to include, AT A MINIMUM: 16 hours handgun training and 8 hours scenario training initially, and 12 hours additional training annually;
- An established process for revocation or suspension.
Current security at our district buildings includes:
- Locked doors during the school day
- Two SROs (School Resource Officers) for the district
- ALICE active shooter training for some district employees.
The following survey will help the district and board of trustees in the discussion to determine a direction relating to this statute.
Thank you for your participation and opinion!