If you have other questions or need help, call (307) 335-0411.
Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono: (307) 335-0411.

Children need healthy meals to learn. Fremont #1 offers healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. 

This page will answer some basic questions about how the National School Breakfast and Lunch Program works.  For additional questions, please contact your school's office or contact the Food Service office at (307) 335-0411


About the Program

What are the National School Breakfast and Lunch Programs?
The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in over 100,000 public and non-profit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to more than 30.5 million children each school day.

What are the nutritional requirements for school breakfast and lunch?
School breakfasts must meet the applicable recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans which recommend that no more than 30 percent of an individual’s calories come from fat, and less than 10 percent from saturated fat. Regulations also establish a standard for school lunches to provide one-third of the Recommended Dietary Allowances of protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron, calcium, and calories. Breakfasts must provide one-fourth of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and calories.


Who is Qualified?

Who can get FREE or REDUCED PRICE meals?
Any child at a participating school may purchase a meal through the National School Lunch Program. Children from families with incomes at or below 130 percent of the poverty level are eligible for free meals. Those with incomes between 130 percent and 185 percent of the poverty level are eligible for reduced-price meals, for which students can be charged no more than 40 cents. Children from families with incomes over 185 percent of poverty pay a full price, though their meals are still subsidized to some extent.

If you meet any of these criteria, you can receive free or reduced price meals:

  • All children in households receiving benefits from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) are eligible for free meals.
  • Foster child must remain under legal custody of the state to be eligible for free meals.
  • Children participating in their school’s Head Start/Even Start Programs are eligible for free meals.
  • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
  • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart. 
Eligibility Income Chart for School Year 2018-2019 – FREE MEALS 
Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $15,782 $1,316 $304
2 $21,398 $1,784 $412
3 $27,014 $2,252 $520
4 $32,630 $2,720 $628
5 $38,246 $3,188 $736
6 $43,862 $3,656 $844
7 $49,478 $4,124 $959
8 $55,094 $4,592 $1,060
For each
additional household
member, add:
$5,616 $468 $108


Eligibility Income Chart for School Year 2018-2019 – REDUCED PRICE
Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $22,459 $1,872 $432
2 $30,451 $2,538 $586
3 $38,443 $3,204 $740
4 $46,435 $3,870 $893
5 $54,427 $4,536 $1,047
6 $62,419 $5,202 $1,201
7 $70,411 $5,868 $1,355
8 $78,403 $6,534 $1,508
For each
additional household
member, add:
$7,992 $666 $154


For a PDF summary of this table page, click here.


Can foster children get free meals?
Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals.  Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.  Application must be filled out.

How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway?
Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Ken Nielsen, (307) 332-4711 x2121, knielsen@landerschools.org .

Who can get Reduced Price meals? 
Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart, shown on this application.  

I receive WIC, can my children get free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please send in an application.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.


About the Application Process

Do I need to fill out an application for each child? 
No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Denise Kinney, 863 Sweetwater, Lander, WY 82520; (307) 335-0411.

Can I apply online?  
Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit www.landerschools.org/parentportal to begin.  You may also contact Denise Kinney, 863 Sweetwater, Lander, WY 82520; 307-332-4711 x2141 if you have any questions about the online application.

Should I complete an application if I received a letter saying my children are already approved?  
No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Denise Kinney, 863 Sweetwater, Lander, WY 82520; 307-332-4711 x2141 immediately.

My child's application was approved last year, do I need to fill out a new application?  
Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year.  You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. 

Will the information I give be checked?
Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to the Business Manager, 863 Sweetwater Street, Lander WY 82520, (307) 332-4711 x2111.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals. 

Who should I include as members of my household? 
You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you.  If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

What if some household members have no income to report?
Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?
Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.


My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?
To find out how to apply for Food Assistance (FA) or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call (307) 777-7561