LMS Principal blog post 11-10-2018
Link to original post: https://landermiddleschool.blogspot.com/2018/11/nov-12th-nov-16th.html
Hello LMS Families;
I hope you are having a great weekend. I packing the blog with a lot of information and happenings for this week.
Trimester One Ends: Trimester One will end on Tuesday, November 13th. Teachers will be working to complete T1 grades and report cards will be mailed home the week of November 19th. Please check Parent Portal with your student(s) to ensure that all Common Formative Assessments (CFAs) are completed for T1, if they are not, they will need to work with that content teacher to identify time when they can make it up.
School Performance Report: Lander Middle school received our annual School Performance Report which is the accountability measure for Wyoming Accountability in Education Act (WAEA) and the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). I am happy to report that LMS is meeting targets in growth and equity and exceeding targets in achievement. We are very happy with these results and will continue to work toward improving these areas even more. If you would be interested in learning more about the report, please give me a call.
From Mrs. Jensen: It's that time of year again where our community comes together to help those in need. Sign ups are open for:
- Thanksgiving food baskets. If you are struggling and worried about how to feed your family on Thanksgiving, the high school FBLA is here to help! Send Mrs. Jensen (email@example.com) your name, address and how many people are in your home and the FBLA club will put together a bounty of food for you and your family on Thanksgiving. It includes a turkey, pie, sides, and other food for a feast. It will be delivered right to your door on Nov. 20. If you are interested, please send this information by Nov. 15th.
- Angel Tree: Our annual Angel Tree will be up and running again this year. If you and your family are struggling this year to buy presents, please consider applying for our Angel Tree. Parents complete a short questionnaire about their children's clothing sizes, likes, and needs and we gather the information and put it on a tree in our lobby. Community members then shop for the kids and LMS wraps the presents for the families! All names will be kept confidential. To qualify, you must have a student enrolled at Lander Middle School. Applications can be found in the front office or counseling office. Applications are due on Dec. 7th. Please complete and return as soon as you can. If you have any questions, please email or call Mrs. Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christmas Baskets: If you are worried about feeding your family over the long Winter break, please consider completing the Christmas Basket application from the Elks. Applications can be found at the LMS front desk. This will enable a family to receive a basket full of food for the holiday.
Happening this Week:
- 11/12: PIE Meeting, 6pm (School Safety) Mr. Ley and SRO Cronk
- 11/13: Trimester One ends.
- 11/13: 8th Grade Girls BBall @ Wyoming Indian, 4:00pm
- 11/14: 7th Grade Girls BBall vs. Wyoming Indian, 4:00pm
- 11/15: Student Council Dodgeball Tournament, 5pm
- 11/16: PBIS Celebration Assembly and Staff vs. Students Dodgeball Game
- 11/17: 8th Grade Girls BBall @ Riverton vs. Jackson/Rawlins, 10:00am
- 11/17: 7th Grade Girls BBall vs. Jackson/Rawlins, 10:00 a.m.
- 11/17: Wrestling @ Worland Invite, 9:30am
Around the World: Students enrolled in Around the World concluded their trimester with project. Mrs. Rounds and students hosted a gallery walk day where parents came in to preview students' work.
6th grade Language Arts: Sixth grade language arts is using a topic from their current novel study to learn to develop an argument. Through a variety of nonfiction readings, students are exploring the question, Should kids hunt? On Tuesday, parent volunteers from the Wyoming Game & Fish Department presented information about youth hunting in Wyoming to help students gather evidence to support their arguments.
6th grade FLEX: Samone Yuen, managing editor for the Lander Journal, returned on Thursday to help students edit leads. A sixth grade flex group focused on journalism is in the final stages of publishing the first Lander Middle School Journal.
7th grade FLEX: 7th grade students are continuing with their service learning projects. Currently, we have drives going for:
- Pet supplies for Lander Pet Connection (dog treats, cat litter, dog/cat food, chew toys, etc)
- School supplies for Merritt Brown Middle School in Lynn Haven, FL. MBMS lost everything due to Hurricane Michael and have had to relocate to a high school in the area. They are in need of basic school supplies (notebook paper, pencils, pens, highlighters, colored pencils, etc.) If you have paperback books that you would like to donate, they will take those as well. We will run this drive until the end of November.
th, 7th, and 8th grade Social Studies: Students now have access to the Holt Rinehart textbooks online. They can log onto www.myhrw.com with their district email address and password.
Student Council: Student Council organized and hosted our 3rd annual Veteran's Day Breakfast on Friday. We had a wonderful turnout. Lily Hitchcock, Student Council president greeted the honorees with a moving speech. Thank you to all of our Veterans for their service.
Lastly, I would like to remind parents that we will have a PIE meeting on Monday evening at 6:00 p.m. Assistant Principal Ley and School Resource Office Jim Cronk will be hosting on the topic of School Safety. We hope you can join us.
Have a great week!
Julie Shanley, LMS principal